3 thoughts on “Emerson MW8999RD 900 Watt Microwave Oven – Red

  1. Woodlandtrails
    60 of 66 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars
    The Yugo of Microwaves, October 12, 2009
    By 

    This review is from: Emerson MW8999RD 900 Watt Microwave Oven – Red (Kitchen)
    Target’s own website had 77 reviews of this microwave and it received an overall TWO rating. Emerson’s website reviews were poor also. I give it a one rating. It turned on but did not heat.

    This Emerson microwave was a gift and within a year it died. If you google this microwave, it has a lot of reliability issues. Since it was a gift, I did not have the receipt but after going up the chain, I was given an authorization to send this microwave back. Emerson’s policy on faulty microwaves such as the Emerson 900 watt is to make customers pay to ship it back (cost $32) AND enclose a $15 check inside the box. So much for standing up for their product.

    Don’t buy this microwave if you care about reliability as this is the Yugo of microwaves.

    GOOGLE “Emerson 900 RED microwave unsafe or hazardous” or something to that effect. I forgot to mention this microwave blew my electrical circuit or whatever so that the outlet it was plugged into along with several others no longer worked. I have a relatively new electrical panel and all switches were in the “on” position but I flipped all the switches back and forth anyway-no dice. Called an electrician who fixed whatever the problem was but charged me. This microwave is a hazard and there are many posts on line indicating this also.

    0

    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 

    Was this review helpful to you? Yes
    No

  2. Kathy Dob
    65 of 74 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars
    I love this microwave!, December 7, 2008
    By 
    Kathy Dob (Woodridge, IL) –

    This review is from: Emerson MW8999RD 900 Watt Microwave Oven – Red (Kitchen)
    I previously had a 1300 watt panasonic microwave that was larger than this one. It went bad and I decided I wanted a red one. I came across this one on sale at Target and wasn’t sure I wanted it because it was quite a bit smaller than my old one and less powerful. But I liked the way it looked and went ahead and bought it, and I’m so glad I did. I love everything about this microwave. Emerson put a lot of thought into how the buttons work. I love the one-touch buttons. Just press the “1” and you get one minute; you don’t have to press the start button. If you want an extra 30 seconds, just press the start button. I can’t say enough about this product. And the smaller size works just fine for me. I don’t really notice that it’s less powerful than my old one, except maybe when I’m making popcorn. If you’re thinking about buying this, go ahead… You won’t be disappointed.

    UPDATE: I’ve had this microwave for three years now and still love it!

    0

    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 

    Was this review helpful to you? Yes
    No

  3. K. eadie
    14 of 16 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars
    /***** (or simply MINUS 5 STARS), December 27, 2011
    By 
    K. eadie (SoCal) –
    (REAL NAME)
      

    This review is from: Emerson MW8999RD 900 Watt Microwave Oven – Red (Kitchen)
    This is most definitely THE WORST MICROWAVE OVEN I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS! I thought it was horrible that my Kenmore microwave died after just 13 months. My husband picked this model because of the way it looked & he liked the features. He insisted the 900W wouldn’t make that much difference. (I wanted a higher wattage)

    After a little over 2 months, I wish it would just blow up so I can get rid of it!
    Here are just a few of the problems with this oven:

    1. It takes FOREVER TO HEAT anything. And the heating is spotty at best. I have to put everything in for about 2X as long as any other oven I’ve ever used.

    2. The outside of the oven gets EXTREMELY HOT after about 2 minutes. I can barely feel any exhaust coming from it. If I want to cook a meal in it, I have to put a desk fan in front of it to keep it cool. I can’t have anything on top ~ not even a paper towel ~ because the exhaust on top is so weak, it overheats.

    3. The inside is almost too small for a splatter shield to fit over a plate.

    4. The buttons are so hard to push, you have to hold onto the oven so it doesn’t move away from you.

    5. Speaking of buttons, they have ALL BLISTERED UP & ARE ABOUT TO PEEL OFF.

    I HATE THIS OVEN. DO NOT BOTHER WITH IT! IT IS A HUGE WASTE OF MONEY!

    UPDATE: TODAY IS 8 AUGUST 2013.

    This past Tuesday, I heated my coffee in this piece of junk. (it takes 3 minutes to heat a cup of coffee!) Anyway, the cycle stopped & when I opened the door, THE TURNTABLE BEGAN TURNING WITH THE POWER ON!! I had to unplug the stupid thing to get it to stop! After that happened, and I plugged it back in, THE ONLY WAY IT WOULD COME ON IS IF THE DOOR WAS OPEN!!

    SO… THANK GOODNESS THE STUPID THING HAS FINALLY DIED!! I WENT OUT TO TARGET AND BOUGHT A SHARP. AGAIN, IF YOU’RE CONSIDERING BUYING THIS THING BECAUSE IT LOOKS NICE & IT’S CHEAP, DON’T DO IT!!!!

    0

    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 

    Was this review helpful to you? Yes
    No

Comments are closed.